El Cajon Car Accident Lawyers
The number of car accidents resulting in serious injuries or death in the United States has been going down overall. Unfortunately, the nationwide trend does not hold true in El Cajon, California. Our state has not only failed to see a reduction, but has actually experienced an increase in traffic fatalities. While the number of people who died in traffic accidents nationwide declined by 1.9 percent in 2011, that number increased by 2.6 percent in California, to 2,791 deaths in addition to countless serious and life-changing injuries. Here in San Diego, our El Cajon car accident lawyers know that trend holds true as well.
Many of San Diego’s serious car accidents could be prevented—those caused by driver negligence. When a driver’s poor driving kills or injures someone, whether it is a driver or passenger in another car, a bicyclist, motorcyclist, or a pedestrian, the injured victim or members of a deceased victim’s family are entitled to pursue a monetary recovery in compensation for their losses.
Of course, no amount of money is ever sufficient compensation for a life that is lost or irrevocably changed as the result of a car crash; however, holding negligent drivers accountable for the misery they’ve caused and making them pay can help the injured get their life back on track, and in the case of a fatality, can help bring closure to a bereaved family. To accomplish this, you will need the services of an experienced La Mesa car accident attorney, preferably one who practices personal injury and wrongful death law exclusively.
The attorneys of the Howard A. Kitay law offices in El Cajon have been assisting car accident victims in California to recover compensation from negligent drivers for more than 20 years with a high rate of success and demonstrable results.
Causes of San Diego Car Accidents
These are some contributing factors we see in El Cajon and La Mesa car accidents that can be attributed to driver negligence:
- Driving while drunk or impaired by prescription or non-prescription drugs
- Driving when distracted, especially by cell phone use and texting
- Driving when overtired
- Ignoring red lights and stop signs
- Failing to yield
- Making unsafe turns and lane changes
The El Cajon car accident attorneys at the Kitay law offices have been highly successful in representing victims of the following types of accidents and more:
- Head-on collisions
- Rear-end collisions
- T-bone collisions
- Pedestrian/ car accidents
- Bicycle/car accidents
- Motorcycle/car accidents
You’ve Been in a Car Crash: What Now?
The actions you take immediately after you’ve been in a car accident can make all the difference in the amount of money you’ll be able to recover for your injuries.
Don’t engage in any discussion with the other driver or anyone else involved, other than to exchange information. Never apologize. Drivers sometimes do this out of politeness, even if the accident was the other driver’s fault. Don’t discuss whether or not you’ve been injured, except to request an ambulance.
Even if you think you’re all right, you may discover over the next few days or even weeks that you’ve sustained injuries that were not apparent at first. It is extremely common to think you are uninjured right after a crash when in fact you have serious injuries. For example, herniated discs, complex regional pain syndrome, and some traumatic brain injuries may not show symptoms right away.
Here are the things you should do, unless you are too badly hurt:
- Call the police and wait until they arrive.
- Write down the names of drivers, and their plate numbers and insurance companies.
- Photograph any cars involved in the accident if a camera is available.
- Get names and contact information witnesses, if any.
- Go to a hospital emergency room, an urgent care clinic, or your personal physician to be checked. Return to the doctor whenever new symptoms develop.
- Contact an experienced San Diego auto accident attorney, to schedule a consultation. The Howard Kitay law firm enjoys a reputation for excellence in personal injury law in the San Diego area.
- When the insurance adjuster calls, whether from your own insurance company or the company that insures the other car, do not discuss the accident. Decline insurance company requests for a recorded statement, medical releases, or signatures on any other documents.
- Refer all insurance company representatives to your attorney, and don’t sign anything unless your lawyer instructs you to. Keep in mind that insurance companies are in business to make money by taking in as much as possible in premiums while paying out as little as possible in claims. They not interested in fair compensation for accident victims, but strive to diminish or deny claims to reduce what they pay out.
El Cajon Car Accident Injuries
At the Kitay law offices, we assist victims of many different kinds of injuries resulting from auto accidents:
- Spinal cord injuries - 36.5 percent of spinal cord injuries are a result of a motor vehicle accident.
- Traumatic brain injuries – 50% of internal organ injuries in car accidents are brain injuries
- Fractures and dislocations – fractures account for 13% of all motor vehicle accident injuries
- Burn injuries
- Herniated discs
- Back injuries
- Neck injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal organ injuries
- Complex regional pain syndrome/reflex sympathetic dystrophy (CRPS/RSD)
Damages from a La Mesa Car Accident
You may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages. Economic damages include loss of earnings and future earning potential, medical expenses to be repaid to your insurance company, Medicare, or Medicaid, unpaid medical expenses, and expenses for treatment you are expected to need in the future, along with out-of-pocket payments for medical devices, prescriptions, transportation, household assistance, and others. Non-economic damages are serious losses that are more difficult to assign a dollar value, including pain, suffering, disfigurement, mental anguish, and loss of quality of life.
What the Kitay Law Firm Can Do For You
If you or someone in your family has been injured or killed in a La Mesa auto accident, you need the best legal representation you can find. In El Cajon, contact the Kitay law offices to arrange a complimentary consultation. Your attorney will investigate your accident to determine liability—that someone else’s negligence was responsible for causing the accident—and damages, and will be able to call on experts, for example accident reconstruction experts and respected physicians, to provide a professional opinion concerning causation, the extent of your injuries, and your prognosis. Your attorney will handle all negotiations with the insurance companies and will convey any settlement offers to you. The decision to accept a settlement offer or not is yours. In the rare case where no fair settlement has been made, your case will be ready for trial.
Call law offices of Howard Kitay today. Time to file suit is limited by California law, so schedule your free, no-obligation case analysis with a San Diego car accident attorney today to learn your legal options. 619-442-0542